Thursday, April 21, 2011

Ducks! And a Goose!


The other day after we got home with our chickens, my husband says to me "If they would have had ducks we could have got 2 of them also" this was probably a mistake. See I have been looking at the website Backyard Chickens - and on the forum section of the site there is also a sub-forum for Ducks. You would not believe how many cute pictures are posted of ducks. And there is the chance that Aleric will be able to eat them (he gets hives from chicken eggs). So I called Big R back at least 5 times a day waiting for their shipment of ducklings to come in. After 4 days of waiting I found an ad on Craigslist selling various poultry. I called the guy and he only had 5 ducks left. I asked him to save them for me and went and picked them up after work. When I got there there was also a goose in the box with them, he had 2 of them hatch but one died so he put the other one in with the ducks and they became a family. He said I could have him for only $6.00, that might seem like a lot but they are selling at Big R for $9.00 each and that's a day old chick, the ducks and the one goose I got are over 3 weeks old. SOOOOO we now have 1 human baby, 3 large dogs, 4 cats, 2 fish tanks (3 fish total), 15 chickens, 5 ducks, 1 goose and a bucket of worms. I think I need to stop here, just a few minutes ago the Husband was talking about getting goats and while I would LOVE some goats I think we are at capacity right now! Im not very sure what breeds of ducks I got, the guy who sold them told me that there is a Black and White Magpie, a Swedish Black, a Swedish Blue or Silver, a Rouen and a Khaki Campbell, and the goose I guess is just a goose because there was no type given for him. Who knows if these really are what I got though, I need to wait until they are grown to figure that out. Hopefully we will get 2 or even 3 laying ducks out of this and we can just keep the drakes as the protectors of the flock but if I end up with all drakes, something tells me they will be hitting the dinner table come fall. Now for pictures!

No comments:

Post a Comment